This now-virtual exhibit features a sampling of classic movie posters from the Dresden Theatre, a long-standing theater in downtown Sequim. Autographed photographs of several of the movie stars featured in the posters, including Judy Garland, Hedy Lamarr, Clark Gable, Ronald Reagan and Errol Flynn, are courtesy of Helen Bucher.
The Dresden Theatre, now the Gazette Building on the south side of Washington Street, opened its doors on August 8, 1935. Its first feature was "The Hoosier Schoolmaster" starring Norman Foster and Gabby Hayes.
Sequim theater proprietor Howard Taylor modeled the Dresden Theatre, a name chosen by Taylor's son, after the Roosevelt Theatre in Seattle. With a seating capacity of 450 and features such as a modern oil burning furnace, second-floor lounge room, and box office and front doors made of mahogany, the Dresden was considered one of the finest talkie motion picture houses of its size in the Northwest.
Taylor, who for several years also ran one of Sequim's first movie houses, The Olympic, remained owner and operator of the Dresden until 1964, when he sold it to C. R. Parkhurst.
Sources: Sequim Press articles, 8/9/1935 & 10/8/1964